The Department of Communication offers:
- A full-time Ph.D programme: Open to all MA (Mass Communication & Journalism, Communication & MCJ) graduates with NET (JRF) qualification. The full-time programme requires students to stay on the campus and complete their research within five years.
- A part-time Ph.D programme: Open to all MA (Mass Communication & Journalism, Communication & MCJ) graduates who are residents of Hyderabad/Secunderabad only. Such students will be required to provide a residence certificate.
Beginning July 2010, Ph.D scholars will be required to complete a 12-credit course work spread over two semesters upon approval from the department before taking up actual research on Ph.D.
Ph.D scholars are presently engaged in research in the following areas:
- Participatory Media & Development
- ICTs for development
- Health & Nutrition Communication
- Histories of Media
- Gender & Media
- Use of ICTs for education
- Media & Marginality
The admission notification is announced on the university website and all national newspapers. A nation-wide entrance examination is held in almost 25 centres across the country. The entrance exam covers communication theory and concepts and research methodology. Candidates will also be required to write a synopsis of the research proiect s/he proposes to undertake for doctoral research. Those shortlisted will be required to appear for a personal interview at the department. Click here for a sample entrance examination paper.